Where my gardens have no walls

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sitting in a sand pit, life is a short trip

I don't know if I'm growing up, or growing old but I know that I'm growing tired of having my beliefs, my trust and my innocence so cruelly eroded by life. Perhaps I wouldn't be so bitter if it were huge waves of tragedy that were washing away the sand castles in my mind and replacing them with perfectly logical and perfectly ugly two-story houses painted beige, rather than the ceaseless monotony of everyday livin'.

I miss being young - when a cardboard box wasn't something I forgot to throw away, it was a race car, it was a treasure chest, it was barbie's new Malibu mansion.

When happy meals were really happy.

When I could fly, when I jumped off the toppest stair with two feathers and not a clue.

When bruises didn't hurt as long as they were colourful enough.

When broken toys were our greatest anguish, and there was no such thing as a broken home.

When family road trips were about Are We There Yet and not Can We Got Home Yet.

When boys had cooties.

When Full House taught you all the life lessons you needed to know.

When the most gut wrenching deaths you'd known were Goldy the goldfish and Squig the worm.

When you thought the sandpit in school could put the Sahara to shame. How else could you always have so much sand in your shoes and eyes and underwear every day when you got home?

When Fred and Daphane were the most dysfunctional couple you knew.

When you knew that if you tunnel straight down you'd get to China...eventually.

When Breezers were hardcore.

When the most important decision you had to make was which Crayola colour to use.

When long-distance meant his house wasn't close enough to walk to.

When your biggest fashion crisis involved sneakers with lights at the back.

When Aaron Carter rocked your socks.

When you always seemed to be the token mid-blink person in every class photo even though you took extra care to open your eyes REALLY wide every year. (Maybe that one was just me)

I miss my sandcastles. So I've decided that we're going to be the ones that have it all and do it all. We'll do the wrong things that feel right, we'll kiss more frogs than princes and we'll never regret a thing. We'll ride off into our delusional sunsets. We'll be forever young.

2 comments:

  1. I think I spent most of my childhood scared of something or another.I was shy, nervy and nerdy. I'm scared, now, of course, but at least I have the ability to process the whys and wherefores of things now, rather than experiencing pure incomprehensible terror of being unable to sleep in someone else's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I recognised the blog title. Of course, how could I not. I just couldn't place it until the last line. Great song. Youth Group > Alphaville

    ReplyDelete