Where my gardens have no walls

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My favourite songs are those that I keep returning to. I never consciously played them over and over on repeat, they just crept stealthily up my Top 25 without my specific knowledge. It's those songs that subconsciously put a reluctant smile on my face when they come on shuffle, despite the fact that I'm probably barely listening to the music because I'm probably writing a super-important, super-over due essay.
In that way, my favourite songs are like my best friends. I can press skip, I can say "Sorry dude, I'm just not in the mood today" without excuses and guilt. My best friends aren't always necessarily the people I have the most fun with, or hang out with the most. It's the people that are quietly comforting, the people that make me laugh despite myself. I don't have to sing along obnoxiously for everyone to know I like this song, contentment is written all over my face when it plays.

Then there are friends you make because of a certain situation you're in. They sit in front of you everyday at school, they're on the same bus, they're your neighbours. Circumstantial friends, or atleast those that start off that way. Haven't you had songs that you like because the reflect what you happen to be feeling at that moment? Break up songs that seamed beautiful when you were still crying over that boy. Songs about summer that didn't seem so great in the grey of December.

There's songs and friends you refuse to let go of, even though you know things are not what they used to be. I can't bring myself to make that decided and committed click when the flashing blue on the screen asks if I'm sure I want to delete. I thought I was sure you didn't belong in my music library, in my life. But all those good times we had. What's the harm in leaving Barbie Girl there...

On the contrary, there are those songs you've known and loved forever. The people that populate your nursery class photographs, ugly middle school pictures of hanging out in malls and now, your Facebook profile pictures. I've always loved you, Aaron Carter. No shame.

Of course, there's the boyfriends and girlfriends. You're obsessed for a while, and there can be nothing better. Or so you think. Yeah, these are the Ke$has. Because your love is my drug, but I gotta get sober some time.


2 comments: