Where my gardens have no walls

Monday, September 19, 2011

Forever

Your unkindness, it has withered me down
into flesh hanging loose
on tired bones.
Bitterness has seeped into the streets of this small town,
into the walls of our home, and into the walls of my heart.

We never buy butter, chocolate and silk,
Instead we carry shopping bags heavy
with regret
and fresh milk
that will go sour, like we did.

The cotton candy words you spun,
Once so sweet,
Have come undone,
and have begun to rot my teeth
and eat at my soul.

I find every slight a mountain
that I am now too weak
to climb.
And my forgiveness is a fountain
that has dried up.

Our bickering is unending,
And I have known not peace
since I have known you.
Our fights are left pending
because I can no more bear the cruel curl of your mouth.

Our breakfast conversations are burned
with your caustic vitriol
Each word
is an effort, twisted and turned,
it is a lump of burning coal.

Yet, I love you
And I do not know
if it is the dint of habit that keeps us together and true
Or if we are meant to be,
destined and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment